Tomato Pickle Recipe
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 250 - 300 gms
- Difficulty Level Easy
Tomato Pickle Recipe:
Tomatoes are used worldwide in various recipes. In India we get this country tomato which is round in shape and had more flesh than the apple tomatoes. These country tomatoes are sour in taste and is best suited to make tomato chutneys, rasams and pickles.
We always think that pickles are very tough to make and it is not our cup of tea. But few recipes that does not take much effort are always something that we have to give a try. This is one such easy recipe of pickle to try at home.
Enjoy this homemade tomato pickle with any dish that you make. This goes very well with rice, roti, idly, dosa and what not!
- (1 Rating)
- Tomato - 1/2 kg (Country tomatoes not the hybrid apple tomatoes)
- Red Chilli powder - 2tsp
- Mango Ginger - 4 inches (The giner that smell like mango and tastes like ginger)
- Garlic - 15 cloves
- Mustard powder - 1tsp
- Fenugreek powder - 1tsp
- Tamarind - one lemon size
- Gingelly Oil (Sesame Oil) - 1/4 Litre
- 1. Wash tomatoes and set aside.
- 2. Grind ginger and garlic to make it a paste and keep aside.
- 3. Heat one glass water is a cup and add tamarind to it. When it comes to boil, switch off the flame and let it cool.
- 4. If you do not have mustard powder and fenugreek powder ready: Fry 1tsp of fenugreek in a pan till you get the aroma out of it. Let it cool for a min, add 1tsp mustard to it and grind them together.
- 5. Heat 3 tsp of oil in a tawa and add the whole tomatoes in it by covering with a lid keeping in low flame, overturning it once in a while with a spoon, till it is boiled (You will be able to smash the tomatoes with a spoon).
- 6. When it is cooled, grind it and keep aside.
- 7. In a heavy bottomed tawa, heat the remaining oil, add ginger garlic paste to it and fry for 3 mins.
- 8. Add the tomato juice to it and let it boil for around 10 mins in low flame.
- 9. Meanwhile take the tamarind water which would have cooled down by now and remove the tamarind residues out of it to get tamarind juice.
- 10. Add salt and red chilli powder to the boiling tomato pickle and pour the tamarind juice into it.
- 11. Let it boil till the oil comes out and the consistency becomes thick (like in a pickle).
- 12. Switch off the flame and add the mustard fenugreek powders to it and mix well.
- 13. After it cools down store it in an airtight or pickle container and serve.
Additional Tips and More Variants
- If yo do not get mango ginger in your area, use normal ginger.
- If you have ginger galic paste ready, you can use it directly
- Tamarind paste can also be used instead of making tamarind water
- If you are using this pickle for more than a week, refrigerate and use.
We are a Diverse mix of Enthusiastic Foodies from across the OurVivaha team, who love their food and are sharing their simple yet yummy recipes for the readers. If you ...Read more about this chef..
Find Us on Facebook
- Brown Aval Ladoo Recipe (Poha / Rice Flakes Laddu) 32,009 views
- Valakkai Bajji – Raw Banana Fritters 22,927 views
- Foxtail Millet Payasam / Thinai Payasam 22,568 views