Samai pongal (Little millet pongal)
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
Samai pongal (Little millet pongal):
Little millet called as Samai in Tamil is very small in nature but highly nutritious. In our place, people who fast for a day or so will finish their fast by having saamai rice to compensate the whole day’s nutritional needs. This millet is high is fibre and can be used as a substitute for rice to make the dish more healthy.
These are very small grains. Try to buy good quality millets from reputed shops. If not, there might be stones in the same color of these millets which might not be easy to remove and would make the finished product bad! When buying double check for cleaned ones to enjoy hassle free millet cooking.
Enjoy this delicious Samai Pongal with our tomato pickle!
- (0 Rating)
- Saamai (Little Millet) - 1.5 glass
- Moong Dal - 0.5 glass
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Cumin (Jeera) - 1 tsp
- Pepper - 1 tsp
- Pepper powder - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 10
- Ghee - 3 tsp
- Cashes - 10
- 1. Soak saamai in water for 20 mins.
- 2. Half boil the moong dal in a pressure cooker (I left for 1 whistle).
- 3. Clean the saamai to remore any stone or mud in it.
- 4. Heat oil in a pressure cooker.
- 5. Add cumin and pepper to it and fry for a minute.
- 6. Add the half boiled moong dal, soaked saamai, pepper powder, salt and curry leaves into it and allow it to boil with 5 glasses of water, including the water used for cooking moong. (I left for 3 whistles).
- 7. In a fry pan, heat ghee. Add cashews to it and fry till it is golden brown in color and keep it aside.
- 8. When the pressure is down, add the fried cashews along with the ghee into the pongal and mix.
- 9. Delicious pongal is ready to be served. Best side dish would be a coconut chutney or any pickle.
Additional Tips and More Variants
- After soaking saamai, take care to remove the stones in it if any. As this is very small in nature, white stones inside it might be a trouble. If you buy organic products, sometimes you get clean rice.
We are a Diverse mix of Enthusiastic Foodies from across the OurVivaha team, who love their food and are sharing their simple yet yummy recipes for the readers. If you ...Read more about this chef..
Find Us on Facebook
- Punjabi Kadhi Pakora Recipe 14,654 views
- Brown Aval Ladoo Recipe (Poha / Rice Flakes Laddu) 7,777 views
- Beetroot Stir Fry-Poriyal-Beetroot Recipes 5,397 views