Samai Khichdi – Little Millet Khichdi
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
Samai Khichdi – Little Millet Khichdi:
Adding one more recipe to the millet cooking. Khichdi is one recipe that will be filling, satisfactory and healthy too with the vegetables added to it. Usually khichdi is made with white rave or chiroti rava. Made the same with samai rice and the taste was really awesome. Such a flavourful dish for a complete breakfast.
Little millet is very small in size, just one round bigger than the rava itself. So there is no need for turning it into rava consistency, we can just use it in its own size. A healthy dish that would be lovely to eat with coconut chutney.
- (0 Rating)
- Samai rice - 1 glass
- Onion - 1
- Tomato - 1
- Carrot - 1
- Beans - 5
- Green peas - a handful
- Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Green chilli - 3 to 5 as per your spice need
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 strand
- Coriander leaves - for garnishing
- Oil - 4 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- 1. Wash and soak samai rice in 3 glasses of water for about 10 minutes. Usually it will require 2 to 3 glasses of water for 1 glass of samai rice. But it may vary depending on the variety of the rice.
- 2. Meanwhile chop onion into this slices. Chop carrot, beans and tomato finely.
- 3. Take the oil in a pressure cooker and heat it in medium flame.
- 4. Add cumin into it and saute for few seconds.
- 5. Add onion slices, slit green chillies and curry leaves. Fry till the onion turns golden brown.
- 6. Add ginger garlic paste and mix well. Saute for few seconds.
- 7. Add tomato into it and fry till they blend well with the onions.
- 8. Add chopped carrot, beans and green peas along with turmeric powder into it and fry for 2 minutes.
- 9. Add soaked samai rice along with the required amount of water and required amount of salt. Leave the sand / stone residues left behind while adding the samai.
- 10. Cover the cooker and allow it to get cooked in medium flame. (I left it for 3 whistles).
- 11. When the pressure is down, open the cover, you may find little water on top. Just mix evenly with a laddle. It would get the required consistency. If not, keep the cooker in low flame for few minutes till the water is absorbed.
- 12. Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with any pickle or chutney of your choice.
Additional Tips and More Variants
No tipsandtricks Found !
We are a Diverse mix of Enthusiastic Foodies from across the OurVivaha team, who love their food and are sharing their simple yet yummy recipes for the readers. If you ...Read more about this chef..
Find Us on Facebook
- Brown Aval Ladoo Recipe (Poha / Rice Flakes Laddu) 31,545 views
- Foxtail Millet Payasam / Thinai Payasam 22,228 views
- Valakkai Bajji – Raw Banana Fritters 22,219 views