Samai Ghee Rice (Little millet ghee rice)
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
Samai Ghee Rice (Little millet ghee rice):
Usually we make ghee rice with green peas. I wonder why this name came for this recipe, it should have been green peas briyani or green peas fried rice. But somehow for generations this is called ghee rice. This is usually enjoyed with potato kurma.
Instead of using normal white rice, saamai is used in this recipe for obvious health reasons. Reading a lot about the health benefits and the nutritious nature of millets, we started trying out different recipes with them and here is one that turned out awesome!
- (0 Rating)
- Saamai (Little millet) - 1 glass
- Cinnamon - 1 inch piece
- Cloves - 1
- Cardamom - 1
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
- Green peas - 100 or 200 gms (fresh ones)
- Green chilli - 2
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Ghee - 4 tsp
- Cashews - 10 to 15
- 1. Wash, clean and soak saamai in water for 30 minutes.
- 2. Add oil and 2 tsp ghee in a pressure cooker and heat it.
- 3. Add cinnamon, clove, cardamon to it and fry for a minute.
- 4. Add ginger garlic paste into it and fry for a minute.
- 5. Add green peas and sliced green chiliies into it and fry for a minute.
- 6. Add the soaked saamai rice into it and fry for a minute or two.
- 7. Add required amount of salt, mix and add 3 glasses of water.
- 8. Cover it and allow it to cook. (I left for 3 whistles)
- 9. In a fry pan, add the remaining ghee and heat it.
- 10. Add cashews into it and fry till it is golden brown and keep it aside.
- 11. When pressure is down, add the fried cashews along with ghee into the rice and mix it.
- 12. Hot saamai ghee rice is ready to be served.
Additional Tips and More Variants
- Add additional green chillies if you want this to be spicy
We are a Diverse mix of Enthusiastic Foodies from across the OurVivaha team, who love their food and are sharing their simple yet yummy recipes for the readers. If you ...Read more about this chef..
Find Us on Facebook
- Brown Aval Ladoo Recipe (Poha / Rice Flakes Laddu) 31,861 views
- Valakkai Bajji – Raw Banana Fritters 22,791 views
- Foxtail Millet Payasam / Thinai Payasam 22,438 views