Poori / Puri
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
Poori / Puri:
Deep fried crispy golden pooris are all time favorites. People in India are high time fans of this wonderful dish enjoyed with any gravy especially potato masala or egg masala. Weekends are not complete at my home without this!
This is one classic breakfast item, while it could be enjoyed as a snack too. Adding carom seeds will bring a good aroma and would help in digestion. Somehow I feel the poori is good only when carom seeds are added. May be my own way of making them! Again, this is completely optional. They would turn out good and crisp even without adding the carom seeds.
- (1 Rating)
- Wheat flour - 2 cups
- Corn flour - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Carom seeds - 1 tsp (Omam / Ajwain)
- Oil for deep frying
- 1. Mix wheat flour, corn flour, salt, carom seeds together.
- 2. Add required water into it and knead as a hard dough. If the dough is soft and spongy, it might absorb more water while frying.
- 3. Make small smooth balls out of it and roll them into small but thick circles. Do not press the balls thin as the poori needs a thicker one.
- 4. Heat the oil and when you feel slight smoke from the oil, put a small pinch of the dough to see if it sizzles. If it, then gently slide one rolled out poori dough into the oil and press it gently with a slotted ladle.
- 5. When the poori puffs up, flip it and leave it for few seconds till it turns golden brown.
- 6. Remove it out of the oil using the slotted spoon and serve hot with preferred side dish.
Additional Tips and More Variants
- Omam is added to aid digestion as this is a deep fried dish.
- Corn flour is added to get crispier poori.
- Try to make poori as soon as the dough is kneaded and eat hot to avoid oil absorbtion.
We are a Diverse mix of Enthusiastic Foodies from across the OurVivaha team, who love their food and are sharing their simple yet yummy recipes for the readers. If you ...Read more about this chef..
Find Us on Facebook
- Brown Aval Ladoo Recipe (Poha / Rice Flakes Laddu) 31,107 views
- Foxtail Millet Payasam / Thinai Payasam 21,934 views
- Valakkai Bajji – Raw Banana Fritters 21,702 views