Plain Toor Dal
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 cup
Plain Toor Dal:
Ha, what an easy dish to cook for dinner to enjoy with plain parathas. This is one dish that I make at least once in a week as this gets my job done in no time! It is an all time favorite for kids as this has very less spice and it is an easy to eat item as there is no necessity for them to chew something..
Usually this is made in semi-solid consistency. Adding curry leaves gives the flavour to this recipe. Few people use asafoetida also in the tadka for the goodness of it.
- (0 Rating)
- Toor Dal - 1/2 cup
- Jeera – 1 pinch
- Mustard seeds – 1 pinch
- Dry red chilli – 1
- Green chilli – 2
- Curry leaf – a few tender ones
- Coriander leaves
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- 1. Wash and boil the toor dal with a pinch of turmeric.
- 2. For tadka, in a pan, take 1 tablespoon ghee and heat it. When hot, add jeera, mustard seeds, dry red chilli, finely chopped green chilli, curry leaves and finely chopped garlic. Fry them for a minute.
- 3. Mix salt to the boiled dal, add it into the tadka and allow simmering till the first boil appears. Then switch off the flame.
- 4. Garnish with finely chopped coriander and cover for 5 mins before you serve. This would blend the coriander flavor with the dal.
Additional Tips and More Variants
- You can also use 1 teaspoon of oil instead of ghee.
- You can choose to crush the tadka ingredients instead of adding them as such.
Vinita KrishnanRead more about this chef..
Find Us on Facebook
- Brown Aval Ladoo Recipe (Poha / Rice Flakes Laddu) 31,943 views
- Valakkai Bajji – Raw Banana Fritters 22,869 views
- Foxtail Millet Payasam / Thinai Payasam 22,511 views