Lauki Moong Dal (Bottle Gourd Dal)
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
Lauki Moong Dal (Bottle Gourd Dal):
Bottle gourd usually has a bland taste, that people who would like to eat spicy food might not turn towards it. But understanding the health benefits of this we have no option rather than to cook it tasty and eat it for the taste of the sabzi. It has high fibre content and it also helps people lose weight.
This recipe with fibre rich Lauki also has moong dal in it to cover up the protein needs as well! This will be a good side dish for roti, idly, dosa, etc. Enjoy it and let us know if this attracted you.
- (0 Rating)
- Moong Dal - 1/2 cup
- Bottle gourd – a few pieces
- Jeera – 1 pinch
- Mustard seeds – 1 pinch
- Dry red chilli – 1
- Green chilli – 2
- Curry leaf – a few tender ones
- Coriander leaves
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Onion - 1
- Ghee or Oil
- Turmeric powder - 1 pinch
- 1. Heat 1 tsp of ghee in a cooker, add jeera, mustard seeds, dry red chilli, finely chopped green chilli, a few tender curry leaves, finely chopped garlic and fry for a minute or so.
- 2. Add chopped onions to it and sauté till light brown.
- 3. Add moong dal and sauté till light brown with a pinch of turmeric and add salt (according to taste).
- 4. Now add a few pieces of medium sized lauki and stir till its half cooked.
- 5. Wait for 1 whistle in the cooker and garnish with finely chopped coriander.
Additional Tips and More Variants
- The same can be prepared in a pan which would be a little time-taking yet add more taste to the dal.
- You can use oil instead of ghee for Tadka.
- For a variation in taste, you can crush the tadka items and use.
Vinita KrishnanRead more about this chef..
Find Us on Facebook
- Brown Aval Ladoo Recipe (Poha / Rice Flakes Laddu) 31,418 views
- Foxtail Millet Payasam / Thinai Payasam 22,148 views
- Valakkai Bajji – Raw Banana Fritters 22,055 views