Kambu Idli (Pearl Millet Idly)
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
Kambu Idli (Pearl Millet Idly):
Pearl millet, idli rice and urud dal are soaked for 4 to 5 hours, ground into a batter, fermented overnight and steamed into idlies using the idli cooker. Once cooked, you can enjoy this hot with any sambar or chutney of your choice.
Pearl Millet known as Bajra is very famous for its cooling effect. These millets help us to reduce our body heat. We are mixing idli rice here to get a proper texture as if we use only pearl millet the idly would turn sticky.
- (0 Rating)
- Kambu / Bajra / Pearl millet - 2 glasses
- Idli rice - 1 glass
- Whole white urud dal - 1/2 glass
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Sago - 2 tbsp (Optional)
- 1. Wash and soak idly rice, pearl millet, urud dal, fenugreek seeds and sago for 4 to 5 hours.
- 2. Grind them into a smooth batter.
- 3. Mix salt into it and allow it to ferment up. It may take 4 to 8 hours depending on the surrounding temperature.
- 4. When it is fermented, mix well to remove the air from it.
- 5. Grease the idly plates with oil and pour the batter gently into the idly slots.
- 6. Allow it to boil for about 5 minutes. When a fork / tooth pick comes out clean, it is boiled.
- 7. Remove them from the idly plates gently and serve hot with any sambar or gravy of your choice.
Additional Tips and More Variants
No tipsandtricks Found !
We are a Diverse mix of Enthusiastic Foodies from across the OurVivaha team, who love their food and are sharing their simple yet yummy recipes for the readers. If you ...Read more about this chef..
Find Us on Facebook
- Brown Aval Ladoo Recipe (Poha / Rice Flakes Laddu) 31,425 views
- Foxtail Millet Payasam / Thinai Payasam 22,151 views
- Valakkai Bajji – Raw Banana Fritters 22,063 views