Coconut Milk Payasam
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 5 glasses
- Difficulty Level Medium
Coconut Milk Payasam:
In the month of aadi, Varalakshmi pooja will be done in most of South Indian houses. We also perform this pooja at our home.
Usually we use a coconut to depict the Varalakshmi and keep it on a kalasam. This kalasam will be kept on a banana leaf spread with raw rice. The next day of the pooja, we take out the whole setup.
As per my mom’s belief, this coconut and the raw rice should be used to make some sweet dish and it should not be used to make any dish that is spicy. So I follow the same.
This year, we made this delicious coconut milk payasam out of this coconut, raw rice and raw rice topped with cashews and raisins fried in ghee. A pinch of Cardamom powder is added for its special aroma. Try it out and let us know if you also liked it.
- (0 Rating)
- Coconut – 1 full or coconut milk – ½ litre
- Milk – ¼ litre
- Raw Rice – 100gms
- Jaggery – 100gms
- Cashews - 15
- Raisins - 10
- Cardamom powder – a pinch
- Ghee – 3 tsp
- 1. Wash and clean the raw rice in water twice. Drain the water and grind it in mixer grinder for rava consistency.
- 2. Add water to the jaggery until it is completely dissolved and mix it well and let it settle down.
- 3. Grind coconut in mixer grinder by adding ¼ litre of water. Drain the coconut milk and keep it aside.
- 4. Add 300ml of water again to that grinded coconut and take milk again. Add this (second milk) to the grinded rice and boil it in a pressure cooker by keeping it in low flame.
- 5. When the pressure is down, add the coconut milk taken in the first round to it and let it boil a little.
- 6. Add the jaggery water to this without the mud settled down (if any) and let it boil.
- 7. When it boils, add the ¼ litre or required milk to get the consistency of the payasam/kheer. Allow it to boil a little.
- 8. Switch off the flame and sprinkle the cardamom powder into it.
- 9. Heat ghee in a small fry pan, add cashews in it. When it is slightly fried and the color changes to golden brown, add raisins to it and fry for a minute.
- 10. Add this to the payasam / kheer. Mix nicely. Delicious payasam is ready to be and serve Hot.
Additional Tips and More Variants
- If you have rice rava, you can use it directly instead of step 1.
We are a Diverse mix of Enthusiastic Foodies from across the OurVivaha team, who love their food and are sharing their simple yet yummy recipes for the readers. If you ...Read more about this chef..
Find Us on Facebook
- Brown Aval Ladoo Recipe (Poha / Rice Flakes Laddu) 32,000 views
- Valakkai Bajji – Raw Banana Fritters 22,916 views
- Foxtail Millet Payasam / Thinai Payasam 22,556 views