Barnyard Millet Sweet Pongal (Kuthiraivali inippu pongal)
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
Barnyard Millet Sweet Pongal (Kuthiraivali inippu pongal):
Barnyard millet, many of you might not have heard about this, though this is one of the most nutritious millet believed to increase ones strength and immunity. Barnyard millet is very rich in iron, calcium and other minerals. This is said to be gluten-free and Start substituting Barnyard millet to the usual rice and life a healthy life.
Sweet pongal is a delicious dessert which is a favorite item for all South-Indians. This recipe is a variant of the authentic sweet pongal just with the ingredient usage, millet. It is a healthy substitute to white rice. Try this out and let us know how you liked it!
- (0 Rating)
- Barnyard millet (Kuthiraivali) – 200gms
- Moong dhal (Paasi parupu) – 50gms
- Jaggery – 100gms
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Cardamom powder – a pinch
- 1. Clean barnyard millet in water and remove stones if any by straining.
- 2. Soak it along with moong dhal in water with 1:3 ratio for half an hour.
- 3. Pressure cook it in medium flame and keep it aside.
- 4. Take jaggery in a cup, add little water inside until it is completely dissolveed and let it settle down for few minutes.
- 5. Meanwhile, when the pressure is down, add the jaggery water into it (leaving behind the sand residues if any).
- 6. Heat it in medium flame and let it boil for few minutes. Once it reaches the required consistency, sprinkle cardamom powder and remove from flames.
- 7. For garnishing, heat ghee in a small kadai and add cashews to it. When the color of cashews becomes golden brown, add raisins to it and fry for a min. Remove from flames and add this to the sweet pongal. Mix thoroughly and serve hot.
- 8. The taste of this mouth-watering dish will definitely linger to your thoughts forever!
Additional Tips and More Variants
No tipsandtricks Found !
We are a Diverse mix of Enthusiastic Foodies from across the OurVivaha team, who love their food and are sharing their simple yet yummy recipes for the readers. If you ...Read more about this chef..
Find Us on Facebook
- Brown Aval Ladoo Recipe (Poha / Rice Flakes Laddu) 31,325 views
- Foxtail Millet Payasam / Thinai Payasam 22,100 views
- Valakkai Bajji – Raw Banana Fritters 21,940 views