- Views 1019
- Likes 1
How to cook rice in a saucepan:
Rice is a very common Indian dish that is taken in combination with curries or fried to have different flavored rices. Pressure cooking the rice is easy, just soak the rice after washing in water for 20 mins. Add the rice and 3 times water into the pressure cooker and leave it to boil in medium flame for 3 whistles. When the pressure is down, you have the hot rice ready to be served.
Cooking rice in microwave oven is also becoming common these days. Cooking the same in the saucepan by separating the starch from the cooked rice is the best and healthiest way.
Cooking rice in a traditional way might be time consuming but it is the best way!
- To get this, you have to cook rice in a heavy bottomed sauce pan. First clean rice and soak it in water for 30 minutes.
- The sauce pan used should be selected carefully as the rice expands on cooking and the water might overflow as well. So for cooking 1 glass of rice, the container should have 2 litre capacity.
- Heat water (about 5 times the quantity of rice) in the sauce pan. When the water comes to boil, strain the soaked rice and add it to the boiling water.
- Cover it with a lid and let it boil in low flame. If the water over shoots out of sauce pan, mix the rice with a ladle once or twice in between.
- When the rice is clearly visible above the water, take one rice in a spoon and try to squeeze it with your finger, if it gets squeezed completely the rice is cooked.
- Now separate the rice and the water carefully using a strainer. The water would be boiling hot, pl take care.
- When the water is completely drained you can use rice for eating with sambhar, rasam, curries and curd.
- The water can be used as a soup by adding salt, a pinch of rasam powder and pepper to it.